APLAC is a cooperation of accreditation bodies in the Asia Pacific region that accredit laboratories, inspection bodies and reference material producers. It is recognized by the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) as one of five Specialist Regional Bodies (SRBs).
Its primary objectives are:
- To provide a forum for exchange of information and to promote discussion among laboratory and inspection body accreditation bodies, and among organisations that are interested in laboratory and inspection body accreditation, and related activities.
- To improve the standard of accreditation services provided by members.
- To organise proficiency testing and related activities in the region.
- To build up and to maintain mutual confidence in the technical competence among Full Members and to work towards further development of the APLAC multilateral mutual recognition arrangement (MRA).
- To promote the mutual recognition arrangement among Full Members, to other regional arrangements and to individual national and regional accreditation bodies.
- To promote international acceptance of endorsed test, calibration and inspection reports and other documents issued by laboratories and inspection bodies accredited by signatories to the APLAC MRA.
- To cooperate with other national, regional and international bodies with similar or complementary objectives.